Supported by PZU Foundation and using the prevention fund, we get strongly involved with social issues.
As in previous years, in 2013 PZU carried out preventive actions to improve public safety and mitigate various risks:
- we have commenced cooperation with the Warsaw Marathon Foundation on the 35th PZU’s Warsaw Marathon promoting health care and active lifestyle;
- we continued the cooperation with Tatra Voluntary Mountain Rescue (TOPR), Voluntary Mountain Rescue Service (GOPR) and selected groups of Voluntary Water Rescue Service (WOPR);
- we co-funded purchases of rescue equipment for fire brigades using the prevention fund;
- we continued cooperation with Misie Ratują Dzieci Association involving a long-term prevention and treatment of traffic accident effects on children;
- in cooperation with Stowarzyszenie Pomocy Niepełnosprawnym Kierowcom (Physically Impaired Driver Assistance Association) we carried out Auto Mobility Centrum program aimed at eliminating barriers for physically impaired individuals allowing them safe driving through substitution of physical dysfunctions;
- we continued the Bezpieczna Flota project addressed to professional drivers;
- we organized sports competitions for the mentally handicapped in cooperation with Special Olympics Poland;
- we co-funded the operations of Zdążyć z Pomocą Foundation involving purchases of arte-therapy equipment;
- we supported improvement in the safety of the Royal Łazienki Museum in Warsaw consisting in expansion of the technical safety system in the museum buildings and physical protection of people and property on the premises of the Museum.
In 2013, PZU acted as a sponsor and patron of various cultural and sport events – both local and countrywide. As the largest Polish insurance company, we cared for conservation of Polish cultural heritage supporting Royal Castle in Warsaw, Royal Łazienki Museum and National Museum in Kraków with Sukiennice, its key branch. As the Polish culture patron, we actively participated in the organization of the Night of Museums, preparing special PZU guest zones offering non-standard promotion of art and culture. We supported the celebration of the 120th anniversary of Juliusz Słowacki Theater in Kraków and 125th anniversary of Stefan Jaracz Theater in Łódź. Our contribution allowed organization of Rzeszów Carpathia Festival. For a subsequent year, we have sponsored Willa Decjusza in Kraków and Bukowina Tatrzańska Municipality with its oldest non-sacral wooden structure called Dom Ludowy.
Caring for social education and promotion of science, in 2013 PZU supported organization of the Scientific Picnic by Polish Radio, Centrum Nauki Kopernik and Centrum Hewelianum in Gdańsk. Another year we have sponsored Road to Harvard, an opportunity for outstanding students.
Recognizing the importance of sport and healthy life style, PZU got involved in Cavaliada, a cycle of equestrian events held every year in Warsaw, Poznań and Lublin.
From mid-July to the end of August 2013, Nostres PZU zones were operating on the most popular beaches in Poland. The organizers offered guests with the relax zone and games for kids and adults.
The Foundation provides financing of projects carried out by non-government organizations and other organizational units, which statutory objectives are coincident with the areas of its activities.
Its operations have focused on the following areas:
- education, mostly supporting of initiatives that provide young people with equal opportunities of intellectual, professional and cultural development;
- social care and assistance, including supporting, promoting and developing activity of impaired people;
- culture and art, in particular supporting promotion of knowledge of Polish art and culture, artists, talented youth and organization of artistic events;
- health care, in particular supporting broadly-defined prevention initiatives.
In 2013, PZU Foundation spent PLN 12.7 m on its statutory operations.
PZU Foundation is financing mostly NGO projects supporting education initiatives in rural areas and small towns. In 2013, under Z PZU po lekcjach initiative, 20 organizations won subsidies for projects that extend the educational offer in small locations, to include:
- Fundacja Edukacyjnej Przedsiębiorczości in Łódź in the form of scholarship for students of science and arts from rural areas and small towns;
- Polska Fundacja Dzieci i Młodzieży in Warsaw, supporting the project Świetlica Moje Miejsce in Lubelskie and Podkarpackie Province;
- Krajowy Fundusz na rzecz Dzieci in Warsaw, funding of multi-disciplinary workshops for talented youth;
- Centrum im prof. Bronisława Geremka Foundation in Warsaw to be used for co-funding of historical workshops for students and teachers;
- Fundacja Młodzieżowej Przedsiębiorczości in Warsaw to fund a finance and insurance education project called Od Grosika do Złotówki.
Further, the Foundation granted one-off support to a number of other organizations.
PZU Foundation supports and promotes social inclusion of impaired individuals and co-funds employees of PZU Group facing personal problems. In 2013, seventeen organizations were awarded in Młodzi Niepełnosprawni competition with grants for social inclusion projects. One-off support was granted to the following organizations: Tatrzańskie Pogotowie Ratunkowe, Rzymskokatolicka Parafia św. Andrzeja Apostoła, Fundacja Świat Na Tak, Fundacja Dzieło Nowego Tysiąclecia, Stowarzyszenie Wiosna, Towarzystwo Opieki Nad Ociemniałymi, Stowarzyszenie Dzieciom Specjalnej Troski, Stowarzyszenie Cichy Kąt, Fundacja Bezdomniaki, Parafia Wszystkich Świętych, Fundacja Perpetum Mobile.
Culture and art
PZU Foundation has been supporting initiatives promoting Polish culture and art, supporting artists and talented youth. In 2013, first time grants were awarded during PZU z Kulturą contest to 41 organizations from small towns that organized trips for kids and youth to culture centers.
At the same time, as in previous years, the Foundation cooperated with organizations supporting Poles abroad, to include: Fundacja Pomoc Polakom na Wschodzie, Fundacja Dobroczynności i Wsparcia Rozgłośni Radiowej Znad Wilii and Stowarzyszenie Wspólnota Polska.
In 2013, the Foundation donated a set of medals from the collection of Jan Henryk Dąbrowski to Muzeum Wojska Polskiego.